1. Rabbits are small mammals that belong to the leporids family. Rabbits come in all kinds of sizes. Some rabbits are about the size of a cat, and some can grow to be as big as a small child. Small rabbits, such as pygmy rabbits, can be as little as 8 inches in length and weigh less than a pound. Larger species grow to 20 inches and weigh more than 10 lbs. Most rabbits are domesticated. This means they live indoors in people’s homes. There are 305 different kinds of domestic rabbits and 13 different kinds of wild rabbits.
Where Rabbits Live
2. Most domestic rabbits live in homes, petting zoos, or on farms. Wild rabbits live in forests, meadows, grasslands, deserts, tundra and wetlands. Wild rabbits create their own homes by tunneling into the ground. These tunnel systems are called burrows and include rooms for nesting and sleeping. They also have multiple entrances for quick escape.
What Rabbits Eat
3. Rabbits are herbivores. This means that they do not eat meat. They mainly eat grass and clover. But rabbits will also eat fruits, carrots, seeds, roots, buds, and tree bark. They are most active at dusk and dawn. This is when they go out to find food. The low light allows them to hide from predators.
Rabbit Survival Skills
4. Rabbits have to be careful to avoid predators like owls, hawks, eagles, falcons, wild dogs, and cats. Rabbits have strong long legs. And they can run for long periods at speeds up to 37 miles per hour. This helps them get away from predators. Rabbits have a very strong sense of smell, hearing, and vision, which also helps them survive in the wild.
Interesting Rabbit Facts
1. Rabbits are very social creatures and love living with other rabbits.
2. They live in large groups called colonies.
3. Baby rabbits are called kits.
4. Rabbits are born hairless and blind.
5. Rabbits live 9 -12 years.
6. A rabbit’s teeth never stop growing.
7. The world’s largest domestic rabbit is Darius. He lives with his owner in England. Darius is 9 years old. He weighs 49 pounds. And he is 4 feet, 3 inches long. With your parent’s permission, go online to this website to see just how big Darius is.