All night long, the big grandfather clock down the hall went tick-tock, tick-tock. I tried pulling my pillow over my head to block out the annoying sound; however, the ticking continued. I was wondering if I would ever be able to go to sleep when I heard a faint creaking sound as my dog, Murphy, headed downstairs for a drink of water. His feet clicked along the linoleum floor. I could hear Murphy slurping water from his water bowl, followed by the crunching of dog food. Finally, Murphy settled down and went back to sleep.
2. All of a sudden, I became aware of another annoying sound. From my bathroom, I heard water dripping from a leaky faucet. I never realized how noisy the house and Murphy were at night before now. On the way to the bathroom to plug my ears with toilet paper, I decided that letting Martin talk me into watching a scary movie while my parents were away for the weekend was a bad idea. How well I remember my conversation with him while walking home from school Friday afternoon.
3. "There’s a super scary zombie movie on television tomorrow night," said Martin.
4. "Really?" I asked.
5. "Yes," Martin replied with a grin on his face. "You yourself said you love zombie movies."
6. "I know I did," I said, wishing that I had kept my mouth shut.
7. "Come on, Jack, don’t wimp out on me. I want you to watch that movie."
8. "Yeah, I’ll watch it," I said. "Do you want to come over later and play video games?"
10. Now, wide awake at 2:00 a.m., I vowed that I would never watch another scary movie if I was alone in the house.